When you combine good nutrition with physical activity, the combination is unbeatable
We worry about eating better for aesthetic reasons: in the image cult society, being thin is well regarded. We look at food and catalog it according to whether or not it is fattening.
Fortunately, more and more people know that good nutrition is the cornerstone of good health. When this nutrition is complemented by physical activity, the combination is practically unbeatable. Eating is nothing more than providing the right nutrients to the cells and our intestinal bacteria. It is responsible for the functioning of the entire body, which requires nutrients of the highest quality to work.
How Can Healthy Eating Habits Help Me?
A quick example: good quality fats (fatty acids, in this case) allow the cell membranes to be flexible and ensure that the nutrients can penetrate well to get the energy they need (glucose, for example). Two nutrients, two functions: one acts as a gatekeeper by improving the entry of the second, which is energy itself. Therefore, knowing how to choose the right fats in our diet totally conditions our health: poor quality fats will create more rigid membranes and the cell cannot perform at 100%.
Regarding bacteria, we now know that the balance of the intestinal microbiota depends on many health-related issues, such as the condition of the immune system (defenses) or the production of certain vitamins (such as K).
What we eat, especially the quality of what we eat improves the balance or worsens it, with the corresponding consequences on health.
What do doctors and experts say about nutrition?
Scientists have been telling us for decades that all their research has concluded conclusively that most of today’s non-communicable diseases, such as obesity, cardiovascular problems, cancer, or diabetes, to name but a few. However, these can be reduced or completely prevented by good eating habits.
The importance of good nutrition
The evidence on this is overwhelming. Nutrigenetics, a very young science, also tells us that what we eat modifies the expression of genes and activates or inactivates some pathologies and other conditions of the organism. Experts in sports nutrition have shown that a correct diet is essential to perform more, have better muscles, reduce body fat, recover better, and prevent injuries.
As we can see, wanting to eat better in order to lose a few pounds is very good and important, because being overweight is always an indicator of a health problem, but it is only the tip of the iceberg. However, when someone tries to eat better, must have to face a flood of information, often contradictory, about diets, foods, eating styles, combinations, and so on.
Best Methods To Eat Healthily
How to separate the wheat from the chaff? There are two ways to do it.
The first is to roll up your sleeves and learn about nutrition. It’s an excellent option, but it’s not for everyone and it takes a lot of time.
The second one is to put yourself in the hands of a good nutrition pro. The nutritionist should provide you with personalized instructions, teach you what it means to eat better, and how to achieve it, help you lose the fat you have (if any), and put control over your meals to make your lifestyle compatible with a healthy diet.
In addition, break your view of the diet as something strict, especially considering that it will improve your health and wellbeing.
If looking to improve your sports performance, a diet is your ideal ally and the perfect complement to physical activity. Making slight changes to your lifestyle will make it easier to achieve your goals.
6 Benefits of Good Healthy Eating Habits
- You start getting the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for your body and mind to develop properly.
- Become less likely to gain weight from excessive consumption of fats and sugars or lose weight from nutrient deficiencies.
- Be able to maintain an ideal weight, according to your age and height, which will help prevent the development of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- You will feel more energetic, vital, and have an easier time maintaining your concentration.
- You are aware of what you eat and the quality and quantity of the food you should eat. This way you can identify when you need to moderate or eliminate certain not so healthy foods.
- You will enjoy the pleasure of eating. Chewing your food well and eating with peace of mind helps keep you healthy.
How Can I Teach Kids Good Eating Habits?
To acquire good eating habits from childhood, the role of the family and the school is fundamental. Children acquire habits from modeling and repetition.
Tips for families and teachers to create healthy eating habits from childhood:
- Teach children how to use the cutlery, plate, napkin, and tablecloth.
- Tell them they should have a good body posture at the table and that they should chew with their mouths closed.
- Serve them portions appropriate to their age and nutritional needs.
- Guide them to slowly chew the food, enjoy it, and identify its flavors and textures.
- Do not force children to eat, just offer them the food. Do not use food as a reward or punishment.
- Teach them the importance of hygiene, washing their hands before eating, and brushing their teeth after each meal.
- Take care of the environment around mealtimes. There must be peace and quiet and no rushing around. Mealtime should be the center of everything, there should be no distractions. They should consider it as an enjoyable time to share with family or classmates at school.
- As for the physical environment, it is advisable to take care of cleanliness and safety. All elements should be adapted to the age and size of the child: table, chair, cutlery, plates, glasses.
- This positive environment is ideal for talking with children about food. In this way, from a young age, they internalize the value of nutrition and the importance of eating well for their full growth and development.
- It is recommended to respect meal times, avoiding excessive delays.
- Get the children into cleaning routines, tell them how to wash the dishes, where the waste goes, and even allow them to help a little.
Why Healthy Eating is Important for Students
For young adults, it is very easy to develop bad eating habits. For this reason, it is a crucial time to lay the foundations for healthy eating.
A balanced diet provides energy for the whole day, which will help you be more successful in school.
Several studies have shown the direct impact of food on memory, concentration, cognitive, and school performance.
There is also a correlation between healthy eating, mood, and psychological health.
Why is it important to spend time at lunchtime?
Skipping a meal has a direct impact on weight gain and leads to an energy deficit, don’t do that!
When you spend little time eating, the feeling of satiety is not quickly achieved. When this happens, people eat more and get fatter. The brain needs at least 20 minutes to distill the satiety hormone to the rest of the body.
If you’re done with your meal in 5 minutes, your body does not assimilate what you have eaten. Therefore causing you to get hungry again in no time.